Broadband setup guide
We’ve made it super easy to set up your new Electric Kiwi broadband.
Don't let its small size fool you, the Orbi packs quite the punch!
Just follow the steps below to install your Orbi modem and connect to your WiFi.
What’s in the box?
A - Netgear Orbi Modem
B - Ethernet (for ONT)
C - Power cable
- Plug the Ethernet cable into the WAN port on your modem & plug the other end into the port labelled GE1 or LAN1 on your ONT (the fibre box usually found on your wall).
- Connect the power adapter and turn your modem on at the wall.
- Now just download the Orbi app below for easy WiFi setup.
Connecting to your Wi-Fi
Once the modem is connected, it’s best to download the Orbi app to set up your WiFi. Alternatively, scan the QR code on the front of the modem to quickly connect, or:
- Go to the Wi-Fi settings or network finder on your device.
- Enter the Wi-Fi network and Password on the front of the modem.
Download the Orbi app
Use the Orbi app to set up, and get the most from your WiFi connection - it’s packed full of features.
Change passwords, share login details with guests, monitor your usage, set up parental controls, and more.
It's even compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
Orbi app guide
Check out our dedicated Orbi set up guide, which includes some more in-depth instructions on set up via the app.
Adding a mesh satellite
If your property is especially large, you may have ordered an extra mesh unit to connect to your router.
It's best to fully install your main router first, then “add on” any satellites afterwards.
Check out our mesh network setup guide for more info.
To connect via Ethernet, plug an extra Ethernet cable into any of the Ethernet ports on the modem and plug the other end into your device (e.g. PC, TV, or game console).
Product Care & Safety
- Do not cover modem or restrict airflow to vents.
- Do not place the modem in direct sunlight or heat.
- Do not tamper or open the modem.
- Please keep it away from moisture and water.
Changing your Wi-Fi username & password
Once your device is connected to the internet, you can change your Wi-Fi username & password via the Orbi app.
- Launch the Orbi app from a device that is connected to your WiFi network.
- Enter your user name and password, then tap SIGN IN. The dashboard will now display.
- Tap WiFi Settings.
- Type your new SSID in the WiFi Network Name (SSID) field.
- Type your new password in the Network Key (Password) field.
- Tap SAVE.
- Your new username/password will now be set up and ready to go.
If you'd like to update these details manually without the app, see our FAQ's below.
For the smoothest experience, we'd recommend using the Orbi app when possible. But if you'd like to get into the nitty gritty, the full guide can be found on the Netgear website.
You can definitely do this if required. Keep in mind this is generally only needed to access advanced settings - so we'd advise to only use this option if you're well versed in that kind of thing.
The login details would be as follows:
- Login = http://orbilogin.com (192.168.1.1)
- Password = what you created during the app setup process
If you have a server in your home network, you can allow certain types of incoming traffic to reach the server. For example, you might want to make a local web server, FTP server, or game server visible and available to the Internet.
To do this, follow the below steps after manually logging into your Orbi router:
- Select ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Port Forwarding/Port Triggering.
- Leave the Port Forwarding radio button selected as the service type.
- In the Service Name menu, select the service name.
- For the ServerIP Address field, enter the IP address of the computer that will provide the service, then click the "add" button.
- Click the "add custom service" button. The Ports - Custom Services page will display.
- In the Protocol menu, select the protocol. If you are unsure, select TCP/UDP.
- In the External Port range field, enter the port numbers, and then the "add" button.
This can be done by following the below steps. Bear in mind this will delete any personalized settings such as your network name (SSID) and password
- Make sure your Orbi device is powered on.
- Using a paper clip or similar object, press and hold the Reset button until the Power LED on your Orbi device blinks amber.
- Your router will now be reset.
We'd recommend doing this via the app, but if you don't have access to mobile device or tablet follow the below steps:
- Launch a web browser from a computer that is connected to your Orbi network.
- Enter http://orbilogin.com. A login window will then appear.
- You'll then need to enter the user name and password. The user name is admin. The default password is password. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
- When the homepage appears, select "wireless"
- To change the network name (SSID), type a new name in the Name (SSID) field.
- To change the password, type a new password in the Password (Network Key) field.
- Click the Apply button to save your settings.
Note that once these details are changed, you may need to reconnect any other devices to your network.